Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Father of mine, tell me where have you been

My mom called me one night...in the middle of the night. She called me again when I didn't answer. I sent her a text "I'm sorry I cant talk right now, I'm putting Camila to sleep". She replied ok, I have some news, but I don't want to text" (not word for words, but that's pretty much it). I called her back a while later. She found my biological dad.

....backtrack 15 years....

My mother was married to an abusive man. We call him the "Grinch". The Grinch and my mom were arguing one night. My sister and I waited and listened in our bedroom, like a scene from a movie. We listened and cried. What a jerk. We were scared. Always. We heard a "thump", and things being thrown, so we go out to "help" my mom. The best an 8 and 9/10 year old (girls), could do, against a 200lbs, 6'3 man. At that moment, he pushed my mom onto the glass dining room table, and yelled "you whore, why don't you tell her who her real father is!?!" (I was still learning to speak English at that point, but I remember those words oh so clearly). I looked at my mom in confusion. Everything between then, and us sitting in a church parking lot is a blurr. She drove me there, we sat on the curb, and she explained everything to me. Getting down to it, I was a one night stand baby, while she was in process of leaving her previous abusive husband (my older sister's father, that I grew up thinking was also my father).

So, I wrote to him through facebook. And we have been "in contact" with each other. A couple e-mails here, and a couple there. It was getting very bland, so I asked him a couple of questions in my last email. NOTHING in return. Not in 3 weeks. Yesterday morning I opened an e-mail from him "Happy Mother Day" just like that. He writes some things in English (he is still in Chile), I imagine he knows some. He wished me a Happy Mother's Day, and apologized for not writing to me. He doesn't have Internet and had to go somewhere to write to me. He also said, he is a little lazy when it comes to writing to people, when he is not written to. I realized that I REALLY DON'T KNOW HIM. It's kind of funny. Duh, I don't know him. But I wrote to you! Did the e-mail not go through? Was I not the last one to write to you? I asked you questions... that means you write back and answer said questions.

I also realized that, I don't want anything from him. I don't need anything from him. And I don't expect anything from him. Just as I told him when I first wrote to him. I got what I wanted, I saw what he looked like, and I told him about me. I'm content, and I'm not hurt.

That's it for now, I have a hungry screaming girl.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment